School Logo

Orchard Primary

& Pre-School

School Logo

Contact Details

School Logo

Orchard Primary & Pre-School

"Small enough to care, Big enough to inspire"

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)

What is SEN?

A child may have special educational needs (SEN) if they find learning more challenging than others and need extra support to achieve their full potential. For example, they may have difficult with their:


  • Behaviour or ability to socialise
  • Reading and writing
  • Ability to understand things
  • Concentration levels
  • Physical ability

At Orchard Primary School we support all pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND) to ensure they make progress and achieve their full potential. Children have learning difficulties for a variety of reasons and here at Orchard Primary we ensure that we take responsibility for identifying and providing appropriate provision for all special educational needs. 


Sometimes children may require extra support for a short period of time to help meet their needs or improve their learning. The class teacher and the school's SENDCo will usually decide this based on a number of factors including academic progress and/or assessments carried out by teaching staff or other professionals. Extra support may also be required if a child is going through a significant change either at home or in school.  Parents/carers will be informed when this happens.


Some children will require support for a longer period of time to ensure they can access the curriculum effectively. This support will be planned by school staff and, where appropriate, by external professionals.


We will assess all children to identify their strengths and needs and how we can best support them. Children who need extra help with their learning may receive additional support under one of the following categories:


  • SEN Support
  • An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)


To find out more information about Special Educational Needs at Orchard Primary School please take a look at the links below.

Local Authority Offer - Worcestershire County Council
Useful Website Links